The SouthtownStar newspaper debuted Nov. 18, 2007, after the merger of the Daily Southtown and the Star Newspapers.
The newspaper brings together the regional strength of the Daily Southtown and community focus of the Star Newspapers, which published twice a week.
The Daily Southtown began as the Englewood Economist on Sept. 11, 1906. The first edition of the paper was four pages and was distributed free to 15,000 readers in an area centered around 63rd and Halsted streets on Chicago's South Side.
In 1924, the paper merged with two other papers in expanding areas south and west of Englewood, and the Southtown Economist was born. The Southtown became a twice-weekly paper and by 1931 had more than 86,000 subscribers. After weathering the Depression, the paper launched a further expansion into other areas of the city and eventually into the suburbs after World War II.
The newspaper's offices were moved from Englewood to 59th Street and Harlem Avenue on Chicago's Southwest Side in 1968. And in 1978, the Southtown became a daily newspaper. In 1994, the paper was sold to a division of Hollinger Inc.
For decades, the Southtown has aggressively covered news in the city and suburbs and has regularly been cited for uncovering corruptions in many areas of government. The Southtown's commitment to being a watchdog for the community remains strong as it enters its second century.
Star Newspapers started life in Chicago Heights in 1901. The flagship newspaper, the Chicago Heights Star, spawned new editions in the neighboring towns of Park Forest and Homewood-Flossmoor during the 1940s. In 1963 the company purchased a group of three twice-weeklies based in Harvey. In the 1970s, the company added papers in Crete and Park Forest South (now University Park), Orland Park, Tinley Park, Oak Forest and Matteson-Richton Park. This period also saw the introduction of papers in Frankfort, Mokena and New Lenox.
At the time of the acquisition by the Sun-Times Co. in 1986, the Star was publishing 12 newspapers in four zones.
In 1994, American Publishing Co. and its parent, Hollinger International, purchased the Sun-Times Co., bringing The Star into a newly formed Chicago publishing group owned by Hollinger.
In January 1997, both newspapers moved their editorial, advertising, circulation and business offices to the former Gately Building at 6901 W. 159th St. in Tinley Park.
In June 2011, the SouthtownStar moved its offices to 18312 S. West Creek Drive in Tinley Park.
About Sun-Times Media
Sun-Times Media is dedicated to being the premier source of local news and information for the greater Chicago area. Its media properties serve more than 300 communities across the region and include the Chicago Sun-Times and Suntimes.com; seven suburban daily newspapers, including the Beacon-News (Aurora), Courier-News (Elgin), Lake County News-Sun, Naperville Sun, Post-Tribune (Merrillville, Ind.) and the SouthtownStar; 39 weekly newspapers published by the Pioneer Press and 12 weekly Sun newspapers, as well as Web sites for those newspapers, centerstagechicago.com, RogerEbert.com and YourSeason.com.