southtownstar
DECENT 
Weather Updates

Fire after battery explosion destroys Homewood home

Updated: June 1, 2013 6:24AM



A firefighter injured in a late Saturday fire in Homewood is expected to return to work in a couple of days, Homewood Fire Chief Robert Grabowski said Monday.

The owner of the home in the 3000 block of Hedgerow Lane is not so lucky. The house was destroyed after a battery that was being charged in the garage exploded, the chief said.

A Country Club Hills firefighter who twisted his ankle was the only person reported injured in the fire that started about 10:45 p.m. The one person home at the time was able to escape.

Grabowski said fuel and chemicals in the garage accelerated the fire. By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the garage was fully involved in flames that quickly spread to the house.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire within 30 minutes, and remained on the scene until 12:30 a.m. The siding on a neighboring house to the west also was damaged, Grabowski said.

Homewood was assisted by Hazel Crest, Flossmoor and Country Club Hills fire departments.

Susan DeMar Lafferty



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.