Man dies in Park Forest apartment fire
May 24, 2012 9:32PM
Updated: July 3, 2012 10:06AM
An 82-year-old Park Forest man was killed Thursday in an early morning fire at his apartment, apparently caused by a lighted cigarette igniting his bed, police said.
Francis Farabaugh, a cancer patient who was on supplemental oxygen, accidentally set fire to the bed in the apartment at 3001 Western Ave., according to police.
When police and firefighters arrived, the interior of the apartment was fully engulfed in flames, authorities said.
An 85-year-old woman escaped the blaze uninjured, and firefighters were able to rescue a dog that was unconscious but breathing, police said.