Will County names Marshall Cemetery a historic landmark
By Susan DeMar Lafferty firstname.lastname@example.org September 20, 2012 6:32PM
Updated: October 22, 2012 6:14AM
The 177-year-old Marshall Cemetery in New Lenox Township was recently named by the Will County Board as a county historic landmark.
The two-acre site on a quiet stretch of Regan Road has been owned and operated by the township since 1987.
The cemetery sits on land formerly owned by the Marshall family -- pioneers who settled in the area in 1834, and established a store, school, church and cemetery.
Many founding families are buried here, along with more than a dozen soldiers from the War of 1812, the Civil War and Spanish-American War.
Marshall Cemetery is the eighth landmark in New Lenox Township, and the seventh cemetery in Will County to be so designated.
Other New Lenox Township landmarks include the Old Brick Tavern, Schmuhl School, Dickinson’s store (now State Farm Insurance) the Boy Scout Cabin on the grounds of the United Methodist Church -- all on U.S. 30; Haven School and the Salisbury home, both on Haven Avenue; and Francis Field on Francis Road.
The New Lenox Area Historical Society will dedicate its latest landmark in an invitation-only ceremony next month.