Gunman in custody after manhunt in Oak Lawn
BY BOB RAKOW Correspondent November 7, 2012 5:36PM
Updated: December 9, 2012 7:42PM
A gunman who set off a manhunt after behaving erratically in an Oak Lawn electronics store was in police custody Wednesday evening, Oak Lawn Police Division Chief Michael Kaufmann said.
The man fled to a residential area after leaving the Radio Shack in the 4800 block of West 95th Street, prompting police to cordon off the area, evacuate a few nearby homes and delay the release of buses from nearby Oak Lawn-Hometown Middle School, Kaufmann said.
Assisted by the South Suburban Emergency Response Team, Oak Lawn police found the man a short time later in a stairwell of a residence near 96th Street and Cicero Avenue. An Oak Lawn police officer spent about an hour talking him into surrendering, Kaufmann said.
The man displayed a gun and threatened to shoot, but “one of our guys developed a rapport with him,” Kaufmann said.
Police were trying to determine whether the man had robbed a Palos Heights Radio Shack earlier in the day, Kaufmann said.
Police had notified management of the Oak Lawn Radio Shack about other similar recent robberies in the Southland, Kaufmann said. So when a man who came in about 3 p.m. Wednesday began behaving erratically, complaining about his phone but never asking for assistance, police were called, Kaufmann said.
Police did not release the gunman’s name, and charges were not expected to be filed before Thursday, Kaufmann said.