No code problems in Tinley Park deck collapse
BY DONNA VICKROY firstname.lastname@example.org July 29, 2013 8:02PM
A porch collapsed in Tinley Park Saturday night, leaving nearly a dozen injured. | Donna Vickroy~SouthtownStar
Updated: August 31, 2013 6:29AM
Tinley Park officials still aren’t sure what caused a backyard deck to collapse Saturday night during a birthday party in the 16700 block of Beverly Avenue, but there are no signs of foul play or building code violations, according to a village official.
“It looks like it might have been an unfortunate accident,” said Pat Carr, director of emergency management for the village.
Carr said reports indicate that there were about 30 people on the deck, about 20 of them in one area, when it gave way about 9:15 p.m., sending children and adults to the ground eight feet below.
Fourteen people were taken to area hospitals. All but one had been released as of Sunday afternoon. That person’s condition was not available Monday.
Carr said the deck was built in 1998, and permit records indicate that the work was done properly, he said.
Saturday’s event appears to have been an isolated incident brought on by too many people in one place at the same time, Carr said, adding that Tinley Park does not have an ordinance regarding maximum capacity on backyard decks.
Carr said there was nothing to indicate any similarities between Saturday’s incident and a deck collapse at a townhouse in Tinley Park’s Odyssey subdivision in 2010 in which 10 senior citizens were taken to area hospitals and treated for minor injuries. Village officials determined that the townhouse deck had not been properly secured to the wall.