Worth man charged with indecent solicitation of child
BY STEVE METSCH firstname.lastname@example.org September 4, 2013 7:16PM
Updated: October 7, 2013 12:59PM
A man who earlier this year won a write-in campaign to serve on the Worth Park District Board has been charged with indecent solicitation of a child.
Anthony Martin, 46, was charged on Aug. 21 by Orland Park police. He resigned his park board post two days earlier.
Martin was charged after a 14-year-old girl told her mother she had been receiving suggestive texts from Martin, police said.
Martin, who works with the boyfriend of the girl’s mother, got the girl’s cellphone number from her at a work party they all attended on Aug. 3, according to the police report. The text messages, sent between 5 p.m. Aug. 3 and 3 a.m. Aug. 4, involved asking the girl if she drank and whether she was interested in body piercings other than for her belly button, police said.
Martin commented that he likes nipple piercings or “other places” and asked the girl if she could sneak out at night to visit him so he could take her to get her belly button pierced, police said.
He called the girl a “sexy dork” and asked if she would like to “mess around with him,” if she would consider being romantically involved with him, and if she would send him photos of her belly, face or whatever else she wanted to send him, police said.
The girl told her mother about the text messages on Aug. 12, police said. The woman told the girl to delete the messages but not before they saved them with cellphone screen shots, police said.
Police reviewed the messages on Aug. 15 when the girl’s father came to the station with her. An officer interviewed the girl that day and learned that she had attended the party on Aug. 3, at which time she met Martin, police said. At the party, she talked with Martin about body piercings, police said. Later that night, the girl began getting text messages from a phone that later was confirmed to be Martin’s work phone.
Orland Park police questioned Martin on Aug. 20. He told police he had sent some text messages a few weeks earlier after he had been drinking, police said. Martin also told police that when he woke up on Aug. 4 and saw the messages on his phone, he realized he should not have sent them and deleted them, police said. He also told police he knew the girl was under 18.
In a subsequent interview, the girl told police that Martin had pinched her posterior three times after she got out of a pool at the party.
Martin was charged on Aug. 20 with felony solicitation to meet a child, according to the police report. A spokesman for the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said Wednesday the charge is a misdemeanor.
Martin’s bail was set at $100,000 by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Kerry Kennedy in an Aug. 22 hearing at the Bridgeview courthouse. He is next due in court Sept. 12.
Worth Park District director Carlo Capalbo said Martin called him Aug. 19 to say he would resign from the park board “for personal reasons” and submitted his letter of resignation Aug. 21. Capalbo said he didn’t know Martin before the park board election.
Anyone interested in serving two years of Martin’s original six-year term can contact Capalbo at (708) 448-7080 for information.