MERS patient improves; no new reported cases
By Teresa Auch Schultz email@example.com May 4, 2014 5:38PM
Updated: June 6, 2014 6:31AM
A patient at Community Hospital in Munster with the first confirmed U.S. case of a new deadly respiratory illness continues to improve, according to the hospital and Indiana State Department of Health.
No new cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus, or MERS-CoV, have been identified, according to the hospital.
State and federal officials, including Gov. Mike Pence, are scheduled to provide more updates at a news conference Monday morning.
The hospital and state confirmed Friday that the patient, who is reported to have recently traveled to Saudi Arabia, was the first confirmed case of the disease in the country.
Until then, most cases of MERS, which was first identified in 2012, had been in the Middle East. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say people with the disease experience a fever, cough and shortness of breath. MERS has killed about 30 percent of the patients who have had it, according to the CDC.
A release from Community said CDC officials arrived at the hospital during the weekend to help with MERS.
All hospital staff who came into direct contact with the patient have been ordered to stay home for two weeks, which is the incubation period for the virus, and none have shown any signs of the disease.
Community CEO Don Fesko said the hospital is working with the ISDH and CDC and following all their recommendations.
“We are pleased the patient is improving and no other cases have been identified at this time,” Fesko said in a news release.