Two convicted in 2010 murder of Park Forest man
BY NICK SWEDBERG Correspondent June 27, 2014 10:04PM
Adam Martinez | Supplied photo
Updated: June 29, 2014 2:11AM
Two men who participated in the 2010 shooting death of a 20-year-old Park Forest man were convicted of murder this week.
A jury found Corey Anderson, of Richton Park, guilty Friday on five counts, including first-degree murder, in the shooting death of Adam Martinez. Jabriel Anderson, of Park Forest, was convicted Thursday on the same charges.
A third man, Jason Burns, of Richton Park, was sentenced by a Cook County judge a little more than a year ago to 40 years in prison.
Burns shot and killed Martinez in a case of mistaken identity in May 2010. Both Corey and Jabriel Anderson also fired into the car driven by Martinez.
“We’re just happy that everyone was found guilty,” said the victim’s mother, Laura Martinez, shortly after Friday’s verdict was announced.
All three men shot at the car Martinez was driving in the 100 block of Hemlock Street, but Burns was the only one who hit Martinez. Burns mistakenly believed Martinez was a man whom Burns’ friend had fought earlier in the day.
Martinez had picked up his friends in his 2004 Monte Carlo just prior to the shooting. Martinez was the only one hurt. A friend of Burns had said Martinez looked like the guy involved in the brawl.
Deliberations began Thursday evening in Corey Anderson’s case and ran late into the evening. They resumed Friday morning, and a verdict was reached early in the afternoon.
Burns had a bench trial, while Jabriel and Corey Anderson wanted jury trials.
For Laura Martinez and her husband, Jesse Martinez, justice has been four years in the making. Laura Martinez said her son died “over nothing” and that they’re happy the killers soon will face years behind bars.
The sentencing for Jabriel Anderson is scheduled for July 23. Corey Anderson is to be sentenced Aug. 7.