southtownstar
SPRIGHTLY 
Weather Updates

Michelle Sopko’s case continued until Sept. 22

An Oak Forest woman accused with her husband of embezzling about $350,000 from the Palos Heights Fire Protection District is next due in court Sept. 22 after her case was continued Monday.

Michelle Sopko, who is charged with felony theft, conducting a financial crimes enterprise and forgery, appeared at a status hearing before Cook County Circuit Court Judge John Hynes at the Bridgeview courthouse. The case was continued per the request of her attorney, Louis Caprio.

Sopko has been considering pleading guilty since at least May in an agreement with Cook County prosecutors. Assistant State’s Attorney Michael O’Malley previously said Sopko and her lawyer were to discuss options in a plea agreement and that a pre-sentencing report had been filed.

Sopko and her husband, Charles Sopko, are accused of stealing the money from the fire protection district over 30 months from 2009 through 2012.

Michelle Sopko told the SouthtownStar in March that her husband had nothing to do with the alleged embezzlement scheme.

She is under house arrest but is allowed to attend sports games and other activities of her three young children but has a curfew time that varies, O’Malley said.

Michelle Sopko worked for the Palos Heights fire district for four years as a part-time bookkeeper and administrative assistant. She resigned in January as a school board member in Arbor Park District 145.

Steve Metsch



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.