March 29, 2011 6:46PM
Updated: March 29, 2011 6:46PM
Office sought: Board of Education Member, Consolidated High School District 230
Name: Rick Nogal
Address: 145 Prairie View Drive, Palos Park, IL 60464
Date of birth: September 6, 1956
Web site: Top3for230.com
Twitter handle: N/A
Education: Northwestern University, B.A., Northwestern University, JD
Occupation, employer: Business litigation attorney for Goldstine, Skrodzki, Russian, Nemec and Hoff, Ltd.
Please list all sources of income: Goldstine, Skrodzki, Russian, Nemec and Hoff, Ltd.; Commissioner Stipend, Palos Fire Protection District
Spouse, spouse’s employer: Kris Nogal. Kindergarten Teacher, Oak Lawn – Hometown School District 123
Children, age of children, children’s employer (if applicable): Ricky, Age 19, Freshman at Ripon College (Stagg H.S. Class of 2010), Katie, Age 19, Freshman at University of Michigan (Stagg H.S. Class of 2010)
Please list any relatives, including in-laws, who are employed by a government agency at the federal, state or local levels. What are their job titles and with what agency are they employed? None
What other elected offices have you sought? What year?
Elected to Board of Education, Palos Community Consolidated Board of Education, 2003
Re-elected to Palos Community Consolidated Board of Education, 2007
Have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime? If so, for what? What was the disposition? No
Do you have any criminal convictions on your record? If so, for what? What was your sentence? No
Political (elected or significant appointment) experience:
• President, Palos Community Consolidated Board of Education
• Commissioner, Palos Fire Protection District
• Community Representative, Student Services Committee, High School District 230
In your view, what are the two most important issues facing your constituents? How would you address those issues?
1. The major challenge facing District 230 is maintaining the financial integrity of the district in light of current economic conditions, the fiscal crisis confronting the State of Illinois, unfunded government mandates, and potential declining student enrollment. The District’s budget must be carefully scrutinized each year in an effort to balance expenditures with revenues. District 230 must also adapt to the changing demographics and economic conditions in order to maintain its academic standards.
2. According to the District Report Card, there has been a recent decline in PSAE test scores and there are growing disparities of test scores at the three high schools in the district. Although I recognize these PSAE scores are not the ultimate measure of academic performance, I believe that this issue should be addressed through school improvement plans and an ongoing analysis by the board, administration, and teachers.
Please explain something significant you would like to accomplish within the next two years if you are elected to the office to which you aspire.
My goals for District 230 include:
--Manage District 230’s finances to maintain a balanced budget and proactively to adapt to any changes in local, state, or federal funding.
--Ensuring that District 230’s students and teachers have access to the best possible resources for educational success, including technology, textbooks, and physical facilities.
---Enacting policies and programs to maximize the safety of all students and staff including drug and alcohol awareness, internet and social media safety, bullying awareness, academic integrity, and diversity.
Please explain how you believe the office you’re seeking can help in creating local jobs.
Given the projections for declining enrollment, High School District 230 will not be creating new jobs in the foreseeable future. My goal will be to manage the district’s finances in a prudent manner to maintain adequate staffing levels and reasonable class sizes that foster academic success.
Do you believe the current way Illinois pays for education is working? If so, why? If not, why not? What would you change?
I will attempt to work with our state legislators to fund adequately the state’s obligations for District 230, which amount to a little over 10% of revenues. These revenues have been in arrears over the past year. The vast majority of District 230’s revenues are derived from local property taxes. I do not believe that county-wide consolidation of school districts will result in educational efficiencies or improve the academic performance for District 230.
Would you make any changes to the budget of the governing unit to which you are seeking elected office? If so, what?
I would carefully analyze all discretionary expenditures for possible savings, including items such as energy conservation and third party vendor contracts.
Are there any other issues you want to bring to the public’s attention? If so, what?
As president of an elementary school district board of education, I realize the importance of establishing connections between High School District 230 and its feeder districts to coordinate efforts so that students are prepared as much as possible for their first year at District 230. I also would enhance communications to keep the entire District 230 community informed of its academic successes, challenges, and finances in a transparent form of governance.