southtownstar
CHARMING 
Weather Updates

1 dead after semis collide near Joliet; westbound I-80 closed

A damaged semi is seen I-80 near Houbolt Rd. following an overnight crash Wednesday April 10 2013 Joliet. | Matthew

A damaged semi is seen on I-80 near Houbolt Rd. following an overnight crash Wednesday, April 10, 2013 in Joliet. | Matthew Grotto~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 47503593
tmspicid: 17604032
fileheaderid: 7932255
Article Extras
Story Image
Maps

Updated: May 12, 2013 1:47PM

JOLIET— An Ohio semi driver was killed early Wednesday when his and another truck collided on Interstate 80 in Joliet.

The accident happened about 3:42 a.m. A semi was traveling on the ramp from Houbolt Road to westbound I-80 when, for unknown reasons, it was struck by a semi traveling westbound on I-80, Joliet District Illinois State Police said.

The collision resulted in a fire, according to the Will County Coroner’s office, which said one of the drivers, Richard S. Gustavel, 51, of Massillon, Ohio, was killed in the collision. Two other people were taken to area hospitals with non life-threatening injuries, state police said.

Motorists were redirected along a detour route while the westbound lanes were closed for the crash investigation and cleanup, state police said. The detour directed motorists along U.S. Route 6, to Interstate 55, which reconnects with I-80 several miles to the north.

All westbound lanes of I-80 at Houbolt Road were closed for hours after the crash. They were reopened by about 10 a.m., authorities said.

The investigation was continuing and no charges or citations have been issued.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.