No one hurt in transformer blast
May 17, 2013 2:10PM
Updated: June 20, 2013 4:05PM
No one was hurt, but there was extensive smoke damage when an electrical transformer exploded about 9:15 a.m. Friday in the basement of the Rotunda Building, 4300 W. 95th St., Oak Lawn, Oak Lawn Fire Chief George Sheets said.
The fire was extinguished quickly, Sheets said.
“The fire was pretty much out when we got there, but it had burned a lot of insulation on wiring, which generated a lot of the smoke,” Sheets said.
“They’ve got some cleanup work to do,” he said.
The transformer explosion was so powerful that a couple of doors and partition walls were damaged, he said.
Sheets was thankful nobody was near the transformer when it exploded.