southtownstar
DECENT 
Weather Updates

Boyfriend held in New Jersey in Southwest Side dismemberment

Daisy Gutierrez / phofrom Chicago Police

Daisy Gutierrez / photo from Chicago Police

storyidforme: 56113258
tmspicid: 20524572
fileheaderid: 9534755
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: November 9, 2013 6:30AM



The third suspect in a grisly Southwest Side murder was being held in New Jersey awaiting extradition to Chicago, sources said Monday.

Milton Miranda has been held since Saturday in the Morris County Jail in New Jersey, according to jail officials. He was wanted on a murder warrant issued by Chicago Police.

Police think he killed Jose Reyes and dismembered his body in May.

Reyes was the brother of a former boyfriend of Daisy Gutierrez, 19. She was being held on $2 million bail in the murder. Miranda is Daisy Gutierrez’s current boyfriend, authorities said.

She told her family to leave their Southwest Side home on May 21, according to prosecutors. She invited Jose Reyes to come over, lured him to her room and began to undress, prosecutors said.

That’s when her boyfriend — identified on Monday as Miranda — kicked in the door, attacked Reyes with a pipe and a knife, slit his throat and decapitated him, Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Heather Kent said in court Sunday.

Then Daisy Gutierrez called her father, Salvador Gutierrez, and told him she had “fixed the problem,” Kent said Sunday.

Salvador Gutierrez, 56, was charged with concealing a homicide for allegedly watching while Reyes’ body was dismembered and helping to bury the remains. His bail was set at $500,000.

Chicago Police think a love triangle was at the center of the violence at the home in the 8300 block of South Scottsdale, sources told the Chicago Sun-Times. A prosecutor said Daisy Gutierrez had children with Reyes’ brother.

Kent said Reyes, 28, had expressed interest in Daisy Gutierrez and had been calling her cellphone.

Reyes’ remains were found about 1:20 p.m. Friday, and an autopsy determined that his death was caused by “multiple sharp force injuries” and “assault,” according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Contributing: Jon Seidel

Email: fmain@suntimes.com



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.