Boys Soccer: Sandburg, Lemont battle to scoreless draw
By Jeff Vorva For Sun-Times Media August 23, 2012 10:52PM
Two storied programs that tasted bitter defeats to end their 2011 campaigns will have to wait a little longer before enjoying their first taste of victory in 2012.
Sandburg and host Lemont battled to a 0-0 draw Thursday.
Lemont had one of the best seasons in its history close with a 1-0 loss to Peoria Notre Dame in a Class 2A supersectional a year ago. No. 1-seeded Sandburg was stunned in the first round of Class 3A regional action, 2-1, by 17th-seeded Providence.
Both programs want to get back on the winning track as soon as possible.
Thursday’s contest was Sandburg’s opener.
“We saw a lot good things today,” Sandburg coach Desi Vuillaume said. “We’re where we need to be. There is a concerted effort with all our players that what happened last year is not going to happen again. I have to hand it to them. They did a lot of work in the last nine months during the offseason.”
Sandburg goalie Adam Zehme had four saves. Midfielder Alex Rohder suffered a twisted ankle with 30 minutes left in the first half and did not return.
Lemont dropped a 1-0 decision Tuesday to St. Ignatius to open the season, allowing a goal with 26 seconds left in the match.
On Thursday, Lemont goalie Piortr Okon had three saves.
The Indians host Evergreen Park on Friday in a South Suburban Blue match and host Lincoln-Way West on Saturday.
“This schedule gives you an idea early on what you have,” Lemont coach Rick Prangen said. “We’re very young. We have only four starters back from last year’s team and we’re playing a lot of underclassmen. We have some growing pains. We have moments of really good play and moments of poor play.”