southtownstar
OMINOUS 
Weather Updates

Bowling: 800 series gets Destiny Miller one up on Dad

Destiny Miller rolled her first career 300 game 800 series Jan. 28 ArenLanes. | Tony Baranek/Sun-Times Media

Destiny Miller rolled her first career 300 game and 800 series Jan. 28 at Arena Lanes. | Tony Baranek/Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 62108856
tmspicid: 22413395
fileheaderid: 10725612
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: March 18, 2014 6:17AM

Worth resident Ron Miller taught his daughter, Destiny, how to bowl when she was 7 years old.

He did a good job.

Destiny, at age 20, owns a higher career series than does Ron.

“He’s never had an 800. He’s kind of jealous,” Destiny Miller said with a laugh after tossing one of the highest series of the season among Southland women bowlers Jan 28.

Miller, whose previous high series was a 759, shot 300, 269 and 279 for an 848 in her Tuesday night Queen’s Team league at Arena Lanes.

“I was shocked,” she said. “I expected to bowl good that night ... but not that great.”

Miller carries a 207 average in her Tuesday night league, and also bowls in weekly leagues at Arena on Sunday and Monday, and in an every-other-week league on Saturdays.

“I love that everybody can do it (bowling),” she said. “There is a guy on Sunday night who is (partially) blind and he can still bowl. Handicapped children can bowl, and you can use a rail to bowl if you need it.

“That’s what I like most about bowling. It’s a sport that everyone can do.”

As a student at Shepard High School, Miller qualified for state as a senior in 2012 and advanced to the second day of the tournament. She had one three-game set on Day 2 where she shot a 278-237-235-750, helping boost her from 47th place to 24th.

“It was really fun,” she said. “I didn’t expect to do that great, because I was doing really badly the day before. Actually, the set before the 750 I was doing really badly.”

The 300 game Miller shot Jan. 28 was her first. Her previous high score was a 299 in 2011 in a junior pro league at Orland Bowl. She left a three pin on her final ball.

This time, she cleared the rack with her 15-pound Jigsaw Hammer.

“I was nervous (in the 10th frame). I was shaking,” Miller said. “Everybody was like, ‘You looked so calm and you looked like you weren’t nervous at all. But I was like, ‘Oh, I was.’

“I was really happy with the game. There was one or two (shots) that might have been a little high, but the rest were in the pocket.”

Miller left her first 10 pin in the third frame of the second game. She left two more en route to her best-ever series.

“It started sinking in after the middle of the second game,” Miller said. “I was like, ‘Wow, I could actually do this.’ My friend, Sarah (Klawitter), she bowls for high school (Evergreen Park) and recently shot an 806. I wanted to beat her.”

Miller, who works at Arena Lanes and is a nursing student, said one of her next goals is to compete in the “Queen’s Tournament” in Reno, Nev.

Plus, there’s another number to chase.

Miller still has seven 300 games to go to catch her dad.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.